Google Search

Google
Frogpond Badge

Tuesday, January 25, 2011

We Will Survive!!!

(Singing to the tune of "I Will Survive" You know you know it)

We.... will survive!!! No matter how high gas prices go.... We know we'll stay alive..... We eat all our meals at home.... McDonalds is a no zone.... We will survive!!!! :p

Ok all silly stuff aside... Yesterday I filled my mini van full of gas and the grand total was $51.74... It hurt my heart. I know there's others out there with bigger vehicle's that are hurting too but I drive a mini-van... I hate paying so much for gas... :( Now we'll have to be spending many more days at home and no more eating out... We really want to get out of debt and living on one income means we have to budget and save to pay off our debt.

As I was preparing lunch I started to feel encouraged that YES WE CAN!!! save our pennies! For lunch my four children and myself are eating yummy stir fry noodles for approximately $1.74. That's like .35 cents per person! Now that is encouraging!!! I have smaller children so they don't eat massive amounts yet but from what I made today there will be no left overs. Here's how I did it...

I shop at discount grocery stores and I have a circle of friends who scout out good deals where ever they go as well. When they find a good deal they'll call and pick me up what they're getting too. (Thanks Vickie & Jennifer!) The ingredients I used break down like this...

Stir fry sauce $1.35 10 servings in a bottle = .13 cents
Soy Sauce .85 cents 10 servings in a bottle = .08 cents
One package of spaghetti noodles = .60 cents
1 lb bag of (12) carrots .69 cents = .11 cents (2 carrots used to prepare meal)
3 lb bag of broccoli $2.00 (I'm estimating this will be enough for 6 meals) = .33 cents
1 onion regular grocery store price .99 cents a lb and I'm estimating it will be enough for 2 meals and I'm not sure if it weighs a whole pound so this is estimating on the high side = .49 cents.

If I can do this and make my kids happy with their lunch for $1.74 then so can you!!! Start today!!! Talk to your friends, neighbors, co-workers... Start a network of people that you are involved with and utilize the discount grocery stores. Coupons are great but they take a lot of work (I've still not figured it out) but finding a good deal without the coupon isn't so hard if you're looking in the right places.


I used more broccoli than shown but I had to take a photo of the ingredients :)

Yes you can eat broccoli with a missing front tooth ;)

Ignore my messy kitchen and instead focus on the smiles of happy, well fed children :)

Want a bite???


We will survive!!! :)

2 comments:

Unknown said...

We LOVE this lunch. I'm glad you posted it. We call it Nakato at home!!So yummy!

Burkulater said...

Looks good to me! Better than rice and beans!

Custom Search