Google Search

Google
Frogpond Badge

Friday, February 04, 2011

The 2011 Garden Season Has Officially Begun!

What better way to spend a snow day than planting seeds? I love it! I took pictures to document the event and to share tips with fellow gardeners. Enjoy!


Step #1: Gather Supplies
To start off with these are my supplies. Yes unfortunately I use Miracle Grow potting mix... When I perfect the composting process I hope to be able to make my own potting mix but that's something I'm working on. I use warm water in my spray bottle and I have a plastic shelf tuned upside down to plant in. And don't forget the seeds.

Step #2 Prepare For Potting Soil
I line my shelf with newspaper to help soak up excess water since I don't have drainage holes in this planter. I transfer my sprouts to other containers so they won't be in this long.

Step #3 Dirt Work
I put a layer of potting soil down and spray it until it's good and soaked!

I am planting a few varieties of seed in this planter so I have it sectioned off with popsicle sticks.

Step #4 Sowing Seeds
I am planting Broccoli...

Cilantro...

Snow Peas...

And Chinese Pak Choy...

Step #5 Soak & Cover...
Next I soak the seeds with more warm water...

Cover with thin layer of potting mix and soak some more. I end up using the whole bottle of water. Good soaking is a step you cannot skip or the seeds won't sprout.

Step #6 Find a warm spot.
One of the warmest rooms in our house is the laundry room. With the dryer venting into the room it's moist and warm. With six people living under one roof I run the dryer quite a bit. On top of the refrigerator is also a good warm place to sprout seeds. Just remember that seeds don't need sunshine to sprout. These will be moved to a sunny location after they sprout.

Another good reason I put these here is I will be reminded to water every time I do laundry!

Come back and visit in a few days to see results :)

1 comment:

Jackie said...

Very cool! I can't wait to get our garden going. Yum!!

Custom Search