Google Search

Google
Frogpond Badge

Monday, May 25, 2009

ANGRY!!!

This morning Emily was helping me get ready to go to Chris's parents house for our annual Memorial Day Fish Fry. We were loading food and stuff in the van, making trips in and out of the house. On one of the trips Emily took Taylor out and was buckling him in his car seat. As she was doing this our neighbors pit bull started barking at her and chased her. She slammed the van door and ran to the house.

We have had constant problems with our neighbors dogs. One is a little dog that uses our yard as a toilet and gets in my garden. The other is a half grown pit bull. As it gets older it is getting more aggressive. So I was of course furious. Luckily Emily had gotten Taylor buckled into is car seat before this happened so he didn't get hurt.

I called the police because our city doesn't have a real dog pound that will deal with dogs, I don't think they're even open on Holidays... Anyway the police officer pulled up and I explained what happened and that we've had constant problems with these dogs. The pit bull is not full grown but it's still scary for an eight year old and this town has a leash law. The officer looked at me and asked me, "so what do you want me to do?" I thought that was odd and I asked her, "what can you do?" The officer proceeded to tell me there was a leash law and that she could ticket them but it probably wouldn't do any good. She said she's been to their house over their dogs before and they say they're always leashed. Well we were standing in the road and the dogs were roaming around in another neighbors yard so the officer obviously could see they were not leashed. I sarcastically said, "so it's going to take someone getting bit before you can do anything?" The officer looked at me and replied, "pretty much yea."

So basically I'm supposed to hope as this dog grows into a full grown pit bull that it won't attack my children or someone else. When it finally does then we'll be able to take action??? That is the most screwed up thing I have ever heard. I am so mad I don't even know what to do.

2 comments:

Latte said...

Call the police again, call the pound (the lady is really nice deep down in side and if you want to charge the family she will) work with another neighbor to call the pound too! Write a letter to the family telling them what their dog is doing and that you will seek action if need be. Threaten the police that you will write a letter to the newspaper/news stations if they don't take action, tell the pound the same thing. Don't let the police bully you, it's their job to protect you!!! Make them do it! It may take calling them every day but after about a week, they will tire of it and help you out.

Oh and I am not sure but pit bulls are suppose to be registered (that my just be in Greene County?) So calling the pound might be a good thing.

Oh and to boot I will pray for you guys, those kids don't need to get hurt by some dog!!!

Jackie said...

I don't know why people keep aggressive dogs like that. They kill people every year. There is no reason to have killer dogs, and people should not let any dog roam free in other people's yards etc. anyway. I know in some places Pitbulls are outlawed.

I love dogs, but I know what I would do if one ever tried to hurt my kids.

Custom Search