Google Search

Google
Frogpond Badge

Wednesday, November 30, 2005

Christmas

My daughter Emily is five years old. Chris (my husband) and I have always done our very best never to lie to her. Even when it comes to such things as the tooth fairy and Santa Clause. We have always told her Santa Clause is a fun story but that he is not real. I have always wanted my kids to know I tell them the truth no matter what. Some people really think we're harsh with the no Santa Clause thing, but that's what we believe. We believe in honesty.

My Mom got me this book called The Bible Answer Book for my birthday. It had a topic on Christmas and "Should Christians Celebrate Christmas?" There had been some controversy the last few years in our church over having a Christmas tree and such but I never really looked into it. Now I have.

Santa Clause actually is based on a real person. A real CHRISTIAN person. I had seen the little cartoon about Santa Clause but I thought it was made up. As with most cartoons a lot of it is made up but there is some truth to it. Santa Clause is based on Saint Nicholas. To make a long story short Saint Nicholas was a Christian who was very generous to people in need. He was known for his love for children. He obeyed the words of Jesus Christ "sell what you have and give to the poor." He used his conviction and sold all his inheritance to take care of those in need. It makes me think of all the good things I pass up by not listening to my convictions from God.

I found a lot of this information at this website. There's a lot of other stuff I won't mention, if you're interested google it. I'm so happy to be able to tell my kids there really was a Santa Clause. Not only that but he was Christian and he did so many things to help people. The true meaning of Christmas is buried under materialism and greed. If you dig you can find it and hopefully share it with someone else.

No comments:

Custom Search