Google Search

Google
Frogpond Badge

Monday, January 30, 2006

This was a pretty fun weekend. It was raining Saturday so we didn't have paintball games. Instead Chris and I took the kids to Bolivar and had fun. It's silly how just going to the arcade and letting the kids spend $5 can be so much fun. Chris wanted to show Emily and Logan what he does for his new job, so we took them to Wal-Mart where they have all the games and kiddy rides that he maintenances on his route. Emily and Logan both won some little plastic toys and I won Emily a rag doll. We rented some movies and spent the rest of the night just hanging out at home.

Sunday was great. In our Sunday school class we had an interesting discussion about how we are afraid to express ourselves in worship. We have some people from many different denominations and we all shared experiences in other churches and compared them with the worship experience in our church.

I grew up going to the Mormon church... well at least for the first ten years of my life. What I remember were boring, quiet worship services. I don't remember what was taught even. I do remember the occasional testimony or song and children were encouraged to as they call it "bare their testimony." It's funny I still remember the testimony they taught children. "I'd like to bare my testimony I know this church is true I love my mom and d
ad my brothers and sisters Amen." It's more like programming than testimony.

Anyway some of the others in the class had been to other denominations where worship service was much different than our services today. Basically I left the class with the feeling that there really is no right and wrong way to worship. Most churches follow a ritualistic way of worshipping, they do the same thing, the same way all the time... I suppose there is nothing wrong with that but it does seem to get monotonous. Other churches have a spontaneous type of service. I think they're all fine and dandy. The one thing I believe is anything we do in a worship service should be prompted by the Holy Spirit. The motive should be to bring Glory to God, not attention to yourself. The people in our class talked about going to other churches and feeling like people were competing with each other to show who was "holier." For example during the pastors prayer others in the congregation would pray as well, so loudly that it became a shouting match between the different people giving the prayer. I've never experienced this so I don't know how I would feel about it. Maybe it was just God's spirit leading and everyone may have been really blessed. I also suppose you can't please everyone. There is always going to be a handful of people not happy, no matter how you conduct worship.

After church we headed out to the Paintball Field. The weather was so nice yesterday, just perfect for playing. We had some new players come out and all together there were eleven of us. I even got to sneak in two games. I reffed the rest of the time. I even got shot right in the middle of the chest the very first game. I was like HEY what the heck don't shoot the reff LOL. It hurt. There was one new kid who'd never played before and I felt so bad. The two games I played I shot him out both times. The first time was in the midsection... yes it's where you're thinking... and the second time was right in the butt. He
really thought I was out to get him.

I did take a few pictures but didn't get any of me since Chris was playing both games I played. It was really enjoyable and even though a few of the new fella's were not the best sports I think everyone had a good time. Emily and Logan invited their cousin Devin to come out and play with them. They didn't play paintball but they have fun running around picking up the balls off the field before and after games. The picture of the kids is Emily my daughter and Devin my nephew. Also the picture of the little kid in the mask and armor is not the one I shot :p

8 comments:

Priscilla said...

I've attended all sorts of churches growing up, in college and into my adult years. My first and formost criteria for picking a church is whether or not the gospel of Christ is taught. Do they preach the Bible? Is there joy in the church? I have felt the presence of the the Holy Spirit in the quiet traditional hymn worship and also the hand raising, "Praise the Lord!" service. I guess I prefer something inbetween the two. Worship is really what you bring to God...not what you get out of it.

Unknown said...

I agree with you. I tried not to mention any other denominations except for the one I had experienced personally and I wasn't trying to be negative about the Mormon church. I just never really felt the spirit where I was going. I rarely mention the denomination of church I got to because I don't really believe in denominations. To me a denomination is just a set of extra man made rules. All Christians should use the word of God to guide them in their life. As long as we do that we will never be exactly the same because the word applies to different people differently. Denominations seem to me to try to make everyone similar and that is not how God made us. So I say worship how you feel the spirit is leading you. If you don't ever feel the need to shout and praise God no one should expect you to, just as someone who is more vocal in their praise shouldn't be seen as creepy. Praise God ;)

Unknown said...

Emily looks so adorable, look at that pose!
Yeah you are right, some people like one type of worship and others like it different, as long as we all worship how we can and give Glory to God, how true.
Yes Churches can be funny things, in the "were holier" department LOL. I have heard the shouting preacher before, and boy did he shout out loud, everyone was looking at each other. He was led by the Holy spirit I suppose, but whooo hooooo did he have a voicebox!
I have been to some different Churches but not many, but have seen the loud rock music type excitement down to the quiet ritual type.
The good thing is that God can hear our heartfelt worship all the same.
Thanks for the lovely post, you make me want to try paintball, and shoot someone in the butt too!

Mr. Khurram said...

I Believe God listens sound of even our Breath 'n' Heartbeat, He can listen the Smiles we 've 'n' everything, So Loud or Silent doesn't matter. Just we all should Pray from the bottom of Heart, not to show other people.

Hope you 're doin' good. Do visit my blog. *Smiles*

God bless you....

Seenie said...

Hey! I just wanted to let you know that you posted an awesome comment in Carmels blog! ABORTION IS MURDER thats for sure. Being told I could never concieve hurt me so badly! I prayed and prayed and was blessed with twins. I lost a twin half way through the pregnancy due to complications and stress that came along with being in the relationship with the father. I was told that because I had lost one twin there was no way the other baby would make it!.... Well guess what,,,, he made it. Isaiah means(gift of God). I then had little Elijah means (gift of God) as well. Both boys are very healthy, are off the charts for average height and weight. I am truly blessed and thank God everyday for these little men!

Unknown said...

Seenie you have a strong testimony and I'm glad you share it. I know so many families who would gladly take in an unwanted baby and for people to say it's not murder is so infuriating to me. I am going to link this blog to my own and I encourage anyone who is prochoice to check out some of the pictures here and tell me it's not murder. www.scripturist.com

Anonymous said...

Kristi ~ Bib++ huh???

::laugh:: yer paintball game sounds like sooo much fun!!!

::sigh:: i always blow my pal off when he invites me cause of schedule..i knew i was missing out on somethin!!

Unknown said...

Wow... 5 years later I've learned a lot... I wouldn't agree with the things I wrote here... Read the Bible God tells us what is right in worship.

Custom Search