Google Search

Google
Frogpond Badge

Monday, December 19, 2005

It never ceases to amaze me how great God is. I always get so caught up in myself and my immediate family and the things that are going on with us that I don't see the big picture. For the last few weeks I've been dreading this upcoming Christmas program at church. Chris and I have also been talking about taking a break from youth organizing activities. I even let myself start to feel like we were unappreciated. Boy did all that change in just two days.

Yesterday was such a busy day. We had church that morning and then drove out to the paintball field. Luckily since we had the tournament Saturday we didn't have any players on Sunday. We were able to leave from the field early to get back to town to start getting things ready for the program. Kelsey (a girl from church) was with us so she was a lot of help getting things ready.

The play went off really well. Everyone really seemed to enjoy it and the kids had a really good time. Things don't have to be perfect for everything to go smoothly. All the worrying I did was all for nothing.

When everyone went downstairs afterwards for cookies and hot chocolate I was amazed at how many people stayed. Usually folks only stay for the play, but about 80% also stayed for snacks. The bad thing is I totally forgot to make the hot chocolate ahead of time. It worked out though because we had just restocked the refrigerator with juice boxes and soda for the kids. Most everyone wanted soda anyway, we didn't use very much hot chocolate at all.

Then after things were over a lady with three young kids in the youth group thanked me. She said I know you and Chris do so much for the kids and I really appreciate it. There were so many other people that thanked us and all the kids were having such a good time and they were so happy. When Chris and I went to bed last night we were talking about everything and I noticed something. I may not be very good at planning events and organizing things but there is one thing that both Chris and I have. We connect so easily to all the kids, without even trying. It mostly amazes me with Chris. He is so not a people person, but he was laying there talking to me about all the kids and who he picks on and teases and plays with... I knew right then that is the reason God has placed us where we are.

Needless to say now I feel guilty for all my complaining and whining. I have a new perspective now and I feel blessed to be where I am. Today has already shaped up to be such a great day. My mom informed me that they will be coming to visit this week! I am so excited to see her. It feels like she's been gone for years lol and it's only been since August. Emily will be so excited to see her. Chris also called on his job he applied for with the City and they are sure he will get the job even though he will not be able to start till January. That is a huge relief and I'm praying so hard he will enjoy working there.

Also I got a very special Christmas card today. People think Chris and I are crazy for being friends with people we've met on the internet. We've had four people so far that we've met online visit us and stay in our home. One couple has even visited twice! We're not crazy, we have talked with these people for years online and shared pictures, talked on the phone and sent letters and presents. To me it's like I know them even if I've not met them face to face. My Christmas card I received today was from one of my online friends. He is a very special friend to me, not because I've known him forever or because he comes to visit us. I've actually never even spoken to him on the telephone. I do however talk to him through messengers almost everyday during the week. Even if it's just a hi? :p how are you today? I've always felt like this friend of mine didn't think of himself too highly. He seemed bummed out and sad quite a bit. I made it my personal goal to befriend him and try to bring a little cheer to his day whenever we talked.

I thought for a while I might just be annoying the heck out of him but I really wanted him to be my friend. We had a conversation about friends one day and it was so funny. He always said I was more of an acquaintance, which I can totally understand because we've never met and he has a high standard of qualifications that have to be met before he calls someone his friend :p He told me one day that my definition of friend and his were just different. It never bothered me I understood. He said his definition of a friend would be someone he would rescue from a burning building. Of course I had to make a joke of it and I told him I couldn't believe he wouldn't save me from a burning building. It was very funny so everyone laugh! :p

Then I received a Christmas card from him today. It was very special to me. He sent a very generous gift for our family. A $300 gift card. I was so shocked. I cried, Chris told me we were both nuts. All this time I've been trying to get my friend to send me his address so I could send him a birthday present, and now a Christmas present and he wouldn't until he sent our family this gift. Now I can send him my gift even if it's not near as generous as his gift, but the really special part, the one that made me smile was the way he signed the card. You're Friend. Just when I was about to give up and have a grouchy Mr. Grinch sort of Christmas God used someone to turn that all around.

To my friend: If you're reading this, I can't thank you enough and I'm glad to be your friend. My family thanks you so much. God Bless You. Merry Christmas everyone!

No comments:

Custom Search