Google Search

Google
Frogpond Badge

Tuesday, December 13, 2005

Wow! I wrote this after Brett was born last year. It's amazing how quickly you forget some things. I wanted to stick this up here as a reminder. God is everywhere.


God’s Fingerprints
Lately the television show CSI has become quite popular in our household. Chris loves watching CSI, it is the only TV show he watches. He would rather play games than watch TV. I like to watch with him (when it’s not too creepy) and it’s interesting to see how they solve some of their cases. I find it amazing that everyone has their very own unique set of fingerprints that can be left behind on objects they touch.
On December 17th, 2004 our third child was born. Brett Aubrey Horn, born at 9:11 AM. Weighing in at 7 pounds 13 ounces and 21 inches long. We were scheduled for a C-Section at 9:00 AM, but were fortunate enough to get to go in early. They started at 8:40.
When they wheeled me out into the hallway on my way to the operating room I was starting to panic. I don’t know why, after all I’d been through this twice before. Since Chris couldn’t come into the operating room until after they gave me a spinal block I didn’t really have anyone there to comfort me. I felt really alone. And then I remembered Deuteronomy 31:6. Be strong and of a good courage, fear not, nor be afraid of them: for the Lord thy God, he it is that doth go with thee; he will not fail thee, nor forsake thee. Right there in the hallway I prayed. I asked God to hold my hand because I was scared. I felt alone, and then, I felt him holding my hand. Apparently when I left the room on my way to the operating table, Chris also began to feel very nervous, and was saying a prayer of his own.
The doctors were so wonderful. They helped me to calm down by talking to me and explaining everything they were doing. They gave me a spinal block to numb me from the chest down. This way I could be awake when our baby was born. When they laid me on the table I could feel myself going numb. The nurse was busy putting belts on me to monitor the baby’s heartbeat. She was having some trouble I could tell because her and the doctor were talking about not being able to find a good place to monitor from.
I was not feeling very well at this time, and they couldn’t give me anything for anxiety until the baby was out. I could still feel some pain when they pinched me so my doctor knew he couldn’t start cutting. Then the nurse found a heartbeat, but the news was not good. The baby’s heartbeat had gone from 178 down to 80! I remember hearing my doctor say "We’re going to have to put her to sleep and do this now, the baby doesn’t like what we’ve done."
I was really not myself at this time so I didn’t know that I needed to be concerned. All I could think about was trying to breathe so I would not be sick. Just when the doctor was about to order me to be put to sleep to resume the operation, the spinal took full effect and they brought Chris in and began the operation.
After a few minutes I heard the doctor say something about an abruption, and lots of blood. It worried me cause I knew they had taken the baby out, but I hadn’t heard him cry yet. I thought they were talking about the baby. I kept asking Chris why he wasn’t crying. He just told me they were cleaning him up, and then I heard him cry. I felt much better after that.
When the operation was over my doctor explained to me what had happened. I had a premature separation of the placenta, called abruption, which is a devastating hemorrhaging event that can result in death of the baby and possibly even to the mother.
The more I think about this situation the more I see evidence of the presence of God. I call it God’s fingerprints. I never realized it before but God leaves fingerprints all over our lives. In this situation it was God who made sure we were in the operating room early, so Brett Aubrey Horn could be born healthy. God knew what was coming and he took care of us, and just in case I or anyone else tried to give the credit to someone else, like the doctors, or fate, he left his fingerprints. Brett weighed the same as our daughter Emily when she was born. Both 7 pounds and 13 ounces. They were also the same length, 21 inches. And even better he was born at 9:11 AM. Chris and I were married on 9-11-99. A coincidence some might say, but I say it’s evidence, God’s fingerprints, he was there.
Some of you might think that I’m just an emotional woman, who just went through a frightening ordeal. I agree, but I still believe God left evidence of his presence in that operating room. I also believe if we look hard enough, we would all see God’s fingerprints in our lives. You don’t have to be a detective to find them. You just need faith and God’s Holy Spirit to guide you. I praise God for our new healthy baby boy. I praise God for this wonderful testimony he’s given me. I just wanted to share it with all of you. I love each and everyone of you and am thankful to have you in my life. Take a little time to praise God and thank him for all things, and have a Merry Christmas.
Kristie Sue Horn

No comments:

Custom Search