Google Search

Google
Frogpond Badge

Tuesday, December 27, 2005

There is an older couple who goes to church with us, Gail and Wilma. They are such a special couple and have been mentors to both Chris and I. The love they have for each other is so encouraging and I love them both so much. A couple years ago Gail was diagnosed with prostate cancer. He went through all his treatments and then this last year he finished his tests and treatment with a full recovery. It was such a blessing but then during the same time his wife Wilma was diagnosed with bone cancer.

They are such an amazing couple. They praised God through all of this, knowing he has a plan and he is with them. The last six months or even longer I believe, Wilma has been really fighting the pain of her disease. She has been unable to attend church a lot of the time. She loves her church family and really wants to be in church but the medication and pain has just been too much for her.

I've visited them in their home a few times. I really admire their love and devotion not only to each other but for their Lord and savior. They truly are a great Christian couple. Gail is so devoted to Wilma and he's done so well taking care of her it's amazing to see such love for another person. I believe they recently celebrated their 50th anniversary.

Wilma has been in the hospital for the last seven weeks. She has been extremely ill and in a lot of pain. She requested that everyone not send flowers since that would be such a chore to get everything home when she gets well. She also didn't want visitors. She is such a selfless woman. She didn't want people she loved to see her in pain and suffering. She wanted for everyone to wait and visit her when she got home.

She got better and went to a nursing home for a short while. During that time I had a horrible cold and Gail advised me I should wait till I was better before going for a visit. I waited, and soon Wilma came home. Everyone was so blessed she had gotten better and seemed to be doing so well. I intended to go visit her soon. Then she was hospitalized again. I thought about going to see her so much and I would always hear everyone talk about how she didn't want visitors when she was so ill. So I waited. I waited too long.

My mother in law informed me this afternoon Wilma died this morning at around 5am. I am so angry with myself. I waited too long. I loved this woman so much and I wasn't there to help her in any way. I did pray which they both would have told me was the very most I could do. Even though to me it felt like the least. I know prayers are answered and I believe God has answered Wilma's prayers. She is no longer in pain and her family and friends no longer have to suffer seeing her in so much pain. I still wish I had seen her just one more time. The last time I seen her was the last time she was able to attend church. She was such a strong woman and such a great blessing in my life. I will never wait again. When I feel I should pray, or go visit with someone, I will go right away.

No comments:

Custom Search